To whittle your middle, grow tree trunks for legs.
Muscular legs can help you fend off belly fat. People with the most muscle mass on their legs had the least visceral fat – the dangerous kind that surrounds organs. Compared with smaller muscles, your leg muscles burn more fat before it can deposit around your organs.
Start melting your middle by adding these three lower-body exercises to your routine today.
1. Dumbbell squat
– Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart holding a dumbbell in each hand.
– Lower your body into a deep squat, until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
– Drive you heels into the floor to push yourself back up to the start position.
2. Dumbbell split squat
– Stand facing away from bench with one leg resting on it, laces down.
– Squat down with your standing leg until the knee of your trailing leg almost touches the floor.
– Push up through your front foot to return to the start position.
3. Barbell side lunge
– Stand with your legs under your hips and hold a barbell on your back.
– Step your right leg out to the side and lower your body as you bend your knee, keeping your left leg straight.
– Drive yourself back up to starting position and repeat on the other side.